Sundridge & Brasted have been an active member of the Kent and Medway Maths Hub for many years. Our pupils, and staff, have benefitted greatly from the knowledge gained though the collaboration this participation brings.
During the 2021-2022 academic year, we are participating in a number of Maths Hub workgroups.
1. Sustaining Mastery
Participation in this work group will ensure our staff continue to:
- enhance their mathematical subject knowledge, emphasising key areas of maths
- learn how to establish an effective collaborative planning culture
- plan, teach and reflect collaboratively to provide a coherent mastery curriculum
- continue to refine school structures and systems to embed and sustain mastery
- continue to ensure a sustainable model for collaborative planning and ongoing specialist subject knowledge development for all teachers.
2. Mastering Number (in the Early Years)
Participation in this work group will ensure that our staff continue to:
- develop skills in working in a professional learning community, reflecting with other colleagues on their own practice, and refining skills through support and challenge within a community
- develop a secure understanding of how to build firm mathematical foundations with a stronger subject and pedagogical understanding for EYFS and KS1
- work to develop intentional teaching strategies focused on developing fluency in calculation and number sense for ALL children
- develop understanding and their use of appropriate manipulatives to support their teaching of mathematical structures.
Alongside the Workgroups, we are also participating in three Maths Hub training programmes:
1. Specialist Knowledge for Teaching Maths in the Early Years
2. Specialist Knowledge for Teaching Maths for Early Career Teachers
3. Specialist Knowledge for Teaching Maths for Primary Teaching Assistants